Ministry of Lector
Saint Michael Catholic Church
The liturgy is the public prayer of The Church.
As a proclaimer of The Word, your ministry helps facilitate the public prayer in The Liturgy of The Word.
Spiritual preparation is essential. Pray with the readings during the week prior to your assigned Mass. Let the words come alive in your heart, and in your life.
You are NOT just reading words, rather….
You are PROCLAIMING THE WORD OF GOD!
Lector workbooks are a great resource for preparation. These can be ordered thru the office (you will be notified by email when this occurs every year), or you may purchase them at Saint and Shamrocks. Also available are many excellent online sites that give you an in depth study of the scriptures, including pronunciation of difficult words.
The following are guidelines for our ministry:
- Be faithful to your scheduled assignment. We all have times we cannot be at the Mass we are assigned. If you know before the schedule is finalized that you will not be available, email/call me and I will find a substitute for you. Once the final monthly schedule is submitted to the office (you will also receive this email), and you find yourself unable to lector, YOU are responsible for finding a sub/swap, and notifying me with the change. We strive to have accurate names for each Mass so that Father knows who will be serving. Additionally, please dress in a manner fitting of your presence in the Sanctuary.
- Arrive 15 minutes before Mass begins. This helps Father in preparation for Mass. Not having a server, lector, EME, cantor or usher show up is like not having the table set properly for a celebratory meal! This also gives you time to make sure the lectionary is on the ambo and opened to the correct reading.
- Entrance Procession. The first reader carries the cross and leads in procession. After ascending the altar, the first reader returns the cross to the sacristy and takes his/her place at the lector’s bench. The second reader carries the Book of Gospels and is behind the altar servers. Once in the sanctuary, the second reader goes around the altar and places The Book in the center of the altar before going to the bench.
- Readings. The first lector approaches the ambo, after the cantor has stepped back, and waits for the congregation to “settle down”. When proclaiming the Word, be confident, read slowly and occasionally make eye contact with the congregation and always pause before concluding with “The Word of the Lord”. After the second reader has completed his/her reading, the lectionary is removed from the ambo and placed on the lector’s bench
- Leaving The Sanctuary after Readings. Immediately after placing the lectionary on the bench, both lectors leave the sanctuary by descending the steps, turning to the altar, bowing and then taking a seat in the congregation.
When we have a visiting priest celebrating Mass, please remember to introduce yourselves as the lector and discuss with him the Prayers of the Faithful and the announcements. Some of the priests prefer the lector to read these. If you are going to read The Prayers of the Faithful, please either remain at the lector’s bench or sit in the front of the church so as not to delay Mass after the homily. If you are reading the announcements, go to the sacristy after communion until time to proceed to the ambo.